24 May 2017
The excavation is centred on the site of a former inn. This was trading though the eighteenth century, and came to an end, we believe, in 1819, when the Kintradwell estate wadsett (mortgage) was redeemed by the Sutherland Estate from the Gordon of Carrol family, and the area was ´Cleared´ in line with Improvement plans for the whole Sutherland Estate. The site has a number of structures, and what appears to be an enclosure or stance around it. At one time it was on the roadway north to Caithness, before that route was re-engineered by Thomas Telford. Today this is the A9. The site also revealed finds in the nineteenth century from earlier periods, and has an adjacent Broch.
Volunteers do not need to come for the whole period. No prior knowledge is required. For further information and to sign up for 1 day or 12, please contact Nick Lindsay at email@example.com or by phone on 01408 621338.more details »