Spikes from Evanton Airfield
02 June 2013
- News Type:
- Find of the Month
These objects were found scattered near the location of the early airfield built at Evanton (see last month’s Find of the Month for bricks from the area). The airfield was built in 1922, and originally was used only twice a year, when the fleet was at Invergordon. It was originally known as Novar, or Newton of Novar, airfield. There are no remains which can be positively identified as from the airfield from the 1920s and early 1930s. However, we have photographs of the period, showing that people and planes were mainly housed in tents. The few timber buildings which appear in these early photographs appear to be on stilts.
Photos of the early pre World War II camp at Evanton can be found on the Invergordon Archive, and at Alness Heritage Centre, as well as in Jim Hughes’ books Airfield Focus: Evanton and Steep Turn to the Stars. The photograph pictured above was originally in the possession of Mrs Dunnett, who gave it to the Evanton Oral History Project.
- 03/02/2020 Conan Pictish Cross Slab
- 02/01/2020 Wooden Bowl from Loch a’ Ghlinne Bhig, Bracadale, Skye
- 01/12/2019 Rubh' an Dunain Boat Timber
- 04/11/2019 Pictish Pin from Golspie
- 02/10/2019 Anglo-Saxon mount from Dornoch
- 01/09/2019 Dingwall Mercat Cross
- 01/08/2019 Cruck Blades, Brotchies Steading, Dunnet
- 01/07/2019 Post-medieval Nested Weight Tests
- 01/06/2019 The Ballachulish Figure
- 01/05/2019 Communion Tokens